Saturday, December 10, 2011

Images and Icons

I have, on the wall of my office, a hand-autographed reproduction of a self-portrait by astronaut Alan Bean, showing him walking on the moon. That makes him an out-of-this-world hero, and someone I gladly look up to, as I consider the wonderful event his picture portrays.

On my desk and in my smartphone I have numerous pictures of my wife, kids, and other family members and friends I care about. When I'm feeling low, or just sentimental, I can look at them and be reminded of the people I love, the good times we've had together, and the special things they've done for me.

When my kids were young, they often read a Picture Bible we'd gotten for them. It was based on the Protestant canon of scriptures, so it lacked stories such as Tobit and Judith, but this didn't harm its consistency with Catholic Christianity. In it were pictures of heroes of Judaeo-Christian history such as Moses, David, Jesus, Mary and the apostle Paul.

And, on the wall of our house just above the arch that leads from the entryway to the great room, we have a crucifix. Of course, that's a cross - the universally-recognized symbol of Christianity - with a statue attached of Jesus performing the most important act in history. I look at it, and I'm reminded of this wonderful gift. And, just like I might be inclined to touch or hold a picture of someone I care about, so I may give some physical sign of my reverence for this act, for example by crossing myself.

Does this mean I think this crucifix is to be treated like an idol and worshipped for its own sake? Of course not. Nor would I respond to any statue or picture or icon of Jesus or any saint as if they were idols. They are physical portrayals of people and events that have a great meaning to me, and when I respond to them in a reverent manner, it is acknowledging whom or what they portray.

This may seem obvious to you, but a surprising number of my Protestant acquaintances think these are idols or images that are worshiped for their own sake. Of course, the other half of that is that there do seem to be some less well-informed cultural Catholics who likewise reverence the depiction itself more than mere appreciation of a special work of holy art merits.

But, just like I wouldn't get rid of my kids' Picture Bible just because someone might inappropriately reverence a picture of Jesus in it, rather than revering Jesus himself and letting the picture be a pointer to him, so I think there's no good reason to get rid of Christian art just because some people mistake it for what it is pointing at and others are offended by that possibility.

(Copyright (c) 2011, Reg Harbeck, all rights reserved)

No comments:

Post a Comment