Thursday, December 15, 2011

Mary Christ Mass

As I write this, it is December 15 - ten days before Christmas. Everyone's getting ready for the celebration, and some of us are marking Advent while we wait.

This blog/book has been a great mini-journey for me, reviewing and reliving my faith journey and what it has meant for me as a culturally Protestant Christian to find myself amid the mysteries of the Roman Catholic Church.

If I were to summarize the core things I've uncovered and shared, it would come down to three:

1) The Catholic beliefs and practices concerning the Virgin Mary, which are so culturally uncomfortable for Protestants, and yet so consistent with Christianity.
2) The Catholic mass, which is more than just a service - it's the hour in heaven that was handed down from the earliest Christians, and built on the traditions handed down from Judaism.
3) In the very centre of everything, including the Catholic Church, is Jesus Christ, as should be the case in any true experience of Christianity.

Bring them together, with Jesus at the centre, and you get a seasonal expression of Catholic Christianity:

Mary Christ Mass!

(Copyright (c) 2011, Reg Harbeck, all rights reserved)

No comments:

Post a Comment